HELM M – Management Level
About This Course
The HELM M (Human Element, Leadership and Management) course is a mandatory part of the training requirements to obtain an MCA Certificate of Competency.
The HELM managerial level course provides candidates with the knowledge, understanding, skills and tools to effectively manage and lead crew on board, to the standard required by the STCW Code for management level seafarers.
What We Cover
Classroom teaching is mixed with practical exercises to consolidate the skills and procedures taught in order to achieve the required standard.
Students will be able to control the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the HELM operational level through the use leadership and managerial skills to ensure that:
- The crew are allocated duties and informed of expected standards of work and behaviour in a manner appropriate to the individuals concerned
- Training objectives and activities are based on assessment of current competence and capabilities and operational requirements
- Operations are planned and resources are allocated as needed in correct priority to perform the necessary tasks
- Communication is clearly and unambiguously given and received
- Effective leadership behaviours are demonstrated
- Necessary team member(s) share an accurate understanding of current and predicted vessel state and operational status and external environment
- Decisions are most effective for the situation
- Operations are demonstrated to be effective and in accordance with applicable rules
Assessment and Certification
The HELM M course is continually assessed and includes a written assessment.
On completion of the course, you will receive the HELM (M) STCW (tables A-11/2 and A-11/3) certificate.
Please see the bottom of this block for current dates or phone us on 01752 770589.
£650.00 Course Fee (Inc. VAT)
Candidates should hold a deck certificate of competency at the operational level and meet the minimum 6 months Officer seagoing service.
Crownhill Fort Plymouth